I-want-to-marry-you Jambalaya: a recipe

my high-quality cell phone picture
so you don't get Pinterest anxiety
When I say "crock pot weather," you probably think of cold, possibly with some type of precipitation. What I mean is: it's too hot to light the stove, so I want to cook with my electric pot as much as possible.

Our crock pot weather started about 2 weeks ago, and it's only getting hotter and making me more and more reluctant to cook with fire. I had some leftover sausage, but nothing to go with it, and I was feeling like trying something new. In the US, we used to make jambalaya on nights when we needed something quick and easy. It doesn't get much easier than a box of Zatarain's and some smoked sausage. But I decided I could attempt homemade jambalaya. And the boys would be more likely to enjoy it because I could adjust the spiciness to their liking. It's not like we have Cajun seasoning in our supermarkets either. I would definitely have to mix my own.

In true Ken-Tex fashion, I would also have to combine various recipes and make substitutions due to what is available to me here and what I happened to have in my kitchen. So I made something sort of like jambalaya, and Nate loved it so much he said, "When I'm a grown up, I think I'm going to marry you." I told him I'm already married, and he said he would consider a different Rachel, perhaps. While it may not be extremely authentic, it is extremely easy and yummy.

For your tastes, you can easily add more cayenne or about 1 Tbsp of a Cajun seasoning blend instead of my mix. Our ratio is a bit heavy on the rice. If you like more veggies and meat, add more!

I-want-to-marry-you Jambalaya


Ingredients:
1 small onion, diced
2 plum tomatoes, diced
1 small bell pepper, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups rice (uncooked)
4 cups water or broth (or a combo)
1 lb cooked sausage/chicken/shrimp, cut into bite sized pieces (or any combo of the above)
oil for sautéing

Seasoning:
pinch cayenne
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika

Method:
Heat oil in electric pot (I set it around 175° C, which is about 350° F) or skillet over med to med-high heat. Sauté vegetables and seasoning until onion is translucent.
Add rice, water, and meat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover. Simmer until water is absorbed and rice is done.

Comments

  1. Yum! Looks good. I've been wanting to try something like that. I made gumbo in the crock pot yesterday because it's crock pot weather here too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts